Saturday, August 18, 2012

Day Two Hundred & Ninety-Two

I made a really stupid decision tonight. I decided to walk 2 miles home, drunk, at 2am, in a neighborhood I still don’t really know. I think about it right now and I think, omg. Seriously woman? And yah, maybe eventually I’ll know the neighborhood better and I’ll know when it is and isn’t (as much as person EVER can) safe. But right now I truly have no clue. But in my drunken state, I thought, hell, I don’t want to pay to take a cab; I’m not “that” drunk, and I’d rather walk the two miles. So I did.


And what I have to say now is thank god for good strangers. Half way through my walk, this dude joined me. And being drunk, (and the fact that he was uber hot), I didn’t even pause in questioning the thought of him. We started chatting, he realized how drunk I was, I fell into a thorn bush, he helped me up, and he decided it would be a good idea for him to walk me to my place, even though he had about another 1.5 miles further from my place.

He was kind. He was friendly. He was helpful. He was funny. He was a decent human being. And thank god Sarah and Dan came to find me (which is for another gratitude post), but either way, he was good.

I think about how that night could have ended and it’s scary. I think about who could have ended up walking near me and even if that person wasn’t a “bad” person in general, that dude could have seen a very drunk woman, and he could have made a decision. I could have ended up in a place that I never ever wanted to experience again, so very easily.

Doing the work I do, focusing on violence against women, being a passionate victim advocate for over ten years, I know the reality of what statistically happens in situations like I was in and it’s nothing like what I was blessed enough to experience. So I am so incredibly grateful for kind, good, caring strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment