Thursday, March 8, 2012

Day One Hundred & Twenty-Nine



I left work a little bit early today to drive down to Colorado Springs to hear my faux-mama read her work at a tiny college down there. I thought the trip would take me a lot longer than it did, so when I realized I would be there early, I thought I'd go to campus and walk around.

Then I saw a sign for Garden of the Gods. I've only been down to the Springs once and saw GOG from far away, but immediately knew I needed to go there at some point. I did something more spontaneous than I usually would and decided to go right then. The sun was starting to set and I didn't have too much time (and was in work clothes), so I just drove through the park instead of walking it, but holy crap it was amazing. I didn't take the picture above, but that is exactly what it looked like tonight. I pulled over at one point and sat there, basically panting in awe, at the beauty of it all and for the second time in the last month said to myself, "Oh crap girl, you can't move away from this place. Your soul sings here."


After my drive, I went to Colorado College and heard Di read. I have always been amazed by her poetry, but I haven't heard her read it in years. There's no one I've ever met who reads like her. Straight up tingles. Head nodding to lines. Tears welling up at classics of hers I've loved for years. The surreal feeling of her being in this place with me. Wishing she could move out here and be a part of it all. How right it felt to have her here. That one hour with her tonight, almost all of it spent just listening to her read feels like it's enough to sustain me for a long while.

My soul felt fed tonight.

2 comments:

  1. "Oh crap girl, you can't move away from this place. Your soul sings here."

    YES I LIKE THIS THOUGHT, CONTINUE HAVING IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being there. It made it so much more meaningful to see you out there, nodding, confirming to me--what?--that I exist, and that someone out there gets it. Someone out there knows me. So glad you drove through the Garden of the Gods. Soul-red, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete