Monday, February 6, 2012

Day Ninety-Eight

I've been taught a lot over the past 18 months since I moved to Denver and started grad school, but the majority of what I have learned has been taught to me outside of the classroom (or even internship). My friends have taught me what it means to be loved in spite of myself. There have been several nights when I've done or said really stupid things. Where the next day I wanted to run as far and as fast as possible from my shame, from knowing I've hurt someone else, from embarrassment, from imperfection, from humanness. I have wanted to run and not look back.

But my friends haven't let me.

They've forgiven me, embraced me, accepted my humanness. They've continued to love me as I relearn to love myself. I have always believed that our actions define us, but I am now learning that what we do after we have acted poorly also matters. Apologizing, accepting forgiveness, truly accepting forgiveness and letting it go, these are important, human lessons to learn. And I am so blessed to have people in my life who love me through the learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment